September 21, 2009

Vintage children's room









I almost resisted titling this post "vintage children's rooms" because the interpretation of that word vintage is so wide these days! I find that rooms described as vintage style range anywhere from the "rose explosion" look to faux shabby to loaded with ikea and ultra-modern-looking toys.
When I describe vintage, I mean a room decorated with things that are old, likely used and hopefully have some kind of meaning to you or your children. This is the kind of nursery that I love for a child. I think these are some pretty examples. As with decor for any room, making it personal is what makes it really "yours" and you can't do that by buying up a bunch of stuff in a day- it takes time! (photos in order from the top: Jeu de Paume Children's Rooms London; next two photos from Children's Rooms by Judith Wilson; Swedish site Alvhelm via Desire to Inspire; emmas designblogg ; Flea Market Style by Emily Chalmers; Country Living online; astropunks.com; apartment therapy; Country Living online



Isn't this room cute? I found it on this flickr set. This creative mom, Annalea, made the mobile over the cot from an old calendar. I love the mix of colorful pillows on the blue daybed.

p.s. I'm looking for a web/blog designer to help me give my blog a "facelift". If you know of anyone who has a keen design asthetic, could you let me know? Thanks!

16 comments:

Leigh said...

I love all these rooms and agree that what makes them great is the time worn and well loved things that can't be bought in a day. Good luck with your new blog look. I love the way it looks now, but I understand wanting change sometimes too.

Vanilla Press said...

hello..I love these childrens rooms, especially the top one!
Beautiful

Jas
Ireland

annalea said...

thanks for featuring our nursery on your blog.

mn said...

Thanks, Leigh! Not sure if I'll change it, but we'll see...

Vanilla press: thank you for reading, glad you like these.

Annalea: you're welcome. That really is a lovely room you created! I never see that wall color, but I think it's cheery.

Flowers said...

Your blog looks wonderful. It was nice going through your blog. Keep it up the good work. Cheers :)

instant cash Australia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jen said...

i loved all of these photos -- i noticed one room has a twig mobile like one that i just made for my baby's nursery -- she loves to look at when i rock her -- http://mimibellaboo.blogspot.com/2009/08/happiness-is-like-butterfly.html -- all of these rooms are so inspiring.

Minnie said...

I love this inspired round-up of rooms. It's exactly the look I like, and not just for children's rooms! I worked with a talented, personable and affordable designer, Ellie, over at Rainy Day Templates. She only does Blogger, however. She was great to work with and I always recommend her. This is my first time on your blog (found via the blogroll on Absolutely Beautiful Things) and will definitely come back. Good luck with the redesign.

cristianismo4D said...

amazing colours and big ideas.
great

Unknown said...

I just love all of the rooms you have shown...so wonderful!!! I'm currently redoing my daughter's room and this was great inspiration :)

Sara Duckett from Sadie Olive designed my blog and she is very talented and wonderful to work with, if you're still looking for a web designer.

:) T

mn said...

Tracey, thanks for the recommendation! Will check her out. Glad you liked the photos and have fun redoing your little one's room!

Minnie, thanks also for recommending Ellie. I ran across her site and love her work.

Andréa Cordoniz said...

Amei de paixão seu blog!!!!
Já sou uma fiel seguidora - rsrsrs.
Beijíssimos!

Andréa Cordoniz said...

Now, in English: I loved so much your blog! I'm following it :)
Kss

Anonymous said...

So glad I stumbled on your lovely lovely blog today, it's always nice to find other blogger out and about on the net!

I must tell you that I like like like your nice blog!

Agneta & Sweden

Blue Muse said...

oh, I love these! (happy sigh) Well loved, sun faded, sweet and magic. Just beautiful. Any child would be truly lucky to have any one of these.
xo Isa

Anonymous said...

I just adore the alphabet-wall!!
So cute!